North Side Fix I-270, US 23 (North High Street) and SR 315
This project will make the I-270/US23 north side interchange safer by increasing capacity and improving traffic flow. Additional improvemnts have been added to the project including work on the SR 315/I-270 interchange.
1. Reconfigure two of the ramps at the interchange of I-270 and US 23 (North High street) Two of the loop ramps, the ramp from I-270 E to US 23 N and the ramp from I270 W to US 23 S, will be reconfigured. ODOT will also add traffic signals at each of the new ramps to allow for better flow of traffic.
2. Widen US 23 ODOT will widen US 23 from Northwoods Boulevard to Lazelle Road from two lanes to three lanes in each direction. ODOT will also build an additional lane on US 23 southbound from I-270 to Northwoods Boulevard.
3. Construct two northbound express lanes on US 23 ODOT will build two lanes under the surface roads that will carry through traffic. The “trench,” as we call it, will begin just north of I-270 and end south of Northwoods Boulevard North. If you are driving in the “trench” will not be able to access Campus View Boulevard and Flint Road.
4. High Street over I-270 A new, decorative fence with the name “Worthington” on it will be built along the US 23 bridge over I-270. Pillars with brick pattern and coloring and limestone caps will be featured on both sides of the bridge, matching walls will be built adjacent to the ramps at the interchange.
Click the link below to see video animation to help drivers travel safely through the trench.
While opening the trench and other access points is a major milestone, there is still much to finish on the project. The new U.S. 23 bridge over I-270 has to be completed along with construction of the new ramps from Interstate 270 to U.S. 23 north and south. There is also an additional lane for southbound North High Street that will be constructed along with final paving, striping and landscaping. Continue to be alert for lane restrictions and crews at work in the area. The project is scheduled to be complete by Fall, 2016.
For more information, see to the project website at www.270-23.com. (ODOT)
Hard Road Widening
Hard Road will be reconstructed and widened between Sawmill Road and Smoky Row Road beginning Monday, June 29, weather permitting. At least one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction during construction.
The project widens 1.2 miles of Hard Road from two lanes to five lanes between Sawmill Road and Smoky Row Road. In addition, the project will add:
- Curbs and sidewalks on both sides of Hard Road where none currently exist
- Bike lanes on both sides of Hard Road where none currently exist
- A traffic signal at the intersection of Hard Road and Foxboro Lane at the Northwest Branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library
- Improvements to the intersection of Hard Road and Sawmill Road
- New street lights
- New storm sewers
- New water lines
The project will increase safety for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists, and will accommodate residential and business growth in the area.
The work is scheduled for completion in October 2016.
For additional details about the project, visit http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=80425
Dublin Riverside Drive and S.R. 161 Intersection Improvement Project
Work continues on a major intersection improvement project at S.R. 161 and Riverside Drive in Dublin. At least one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction on Riverside Drive at S.R. 161, with the exception of very brief, intermittent closures. Turns are now prohibited at the Riverside Drive/S.R. 161 intersection. Dale Drive is now closed at Riverside Drive. Drivers should take Tuller Road to Tuller Ridge Drive to access Dale Drive.
Starting January 25, weather permitting, S.R. 161 will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Dale Drive and Blacksmith Lane. This traffic adjustment is expected to be in place until the project is completed in the Fall of 2016. Expect some occasional flagging operations on Riverside Drive in this area between February 16 and February 19, weather permittting.
The new Dale-Tuller Connector is now open to traffic. This connector is an alternate north-south route which extends from S.R. 161 to Tuller Road.
The project includes a new roundabout, pedestrian safety improvements, accommodations for a new park, new sewers and other utility improvements. For additional information about the project, please visit: http://dublinohiousa.gov/riverside. (Dublin)
Hamilton Road Widening
A widening and improvement project on Hamilton Road between Rocky Fork Creek (north of Havens Corners Road) and East Johnstown Road (US 62) starts Monday, June 22.
In the first phase of the project, motorists and cyclists should be alert for lane restrictions and crews and equipment at work. Expect some flagging operations on Hamilton Road with one lane of two-way traffic maintained by flaggers. Flagging operations will be limited to the hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
The Franklin County/Gahanna project will widen parts of Hamilton Road and add new turn lanes in the project area. Also included are a bridge replacement, new multi-use paths, sidewalks, pedestrian safety improvements, street lighting and new roundabout intersections at Clark State Road and at the Northeast School. Completion, fall 2017.
For more information see the project flyer.
(Franklin County Engineer/Gahanna)
Tremont Road Reconstruction Project
Construction August 2015 through June 2016
- Full depth road and curb replacement
- Convert the four-lane undivided roadway to a two-lane roadway with a two-way left turn lane. Benefits include reduced vehicle speeds, improved mobility and access, reduced collisions and injuries, and improved livability and quality of life.
- Storm sewer replacement/repair as required
- Dedicated bike lanes northbound and southbound from Fishinger to Zollinger, and a shared use path from Zollinger Road to Ridgeview Road
- Traffic signal replacements to mast arms
- High visibility pedestrian crosswalks and pedestrian refuge islands at mid-block crosswalks
- Sidewalk and curb ramp replacement where needed
- Street lighting improvements
Tremont Road is closed between Lane Avenue and Northam Road as part of this work.
The posted detour is:
- East on W. Lane Avenue
- North on Northwest Boulevard
- West on Northam Road, back to Tremont Road (or the reverse)
This closure is scheduled to be in place through late June, weather permittting.
West Side I-70 Widening and Improvements
Work on a widening and improvement of I-70 between I-270 and Hilliard-Rome Road begian in September, 2015. The project will add lanes in both directions on I-70, rehabilitate several bridges, resurface the roadway and construct noise walls.
At this time, the traffic impact will be limited to evenings and overnights, from 7 p.m. each evening to 5 a.m. each following morning. Motorists should be alert for crews at work and lane restrictions on westbound I-70 in the project area during these work hours. The project is scheduled for completion in 2017. (ODOT)
I-71 Widening Project
Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) will build a third lane in each direction on Interstate 71 on the South Side of Franklin County. The ODOT project will widen I-71 between S.R. 665 and Stringtown Road in Grove City. Crews installed temporary pavement in both directions of I-71 so two travel lanes can be maintained during the work. Drivers on I-71 South are shifted over to the outside lanes as they travel through Grove City.
The two-year, $37 million project is expected to be complete by Summer 2017. (ODOT)
InterCHANGE 270/33 Project
Construction at the I-270 and U.S. 33/S.R. 161 interchange in Dublin began in Spring 2015.
This project includes:
- New ramp configurations
- Eliminating the 4 major internal weaves and merges which improves safety
- Adding capacity with additional lanes on I-270 and on U.S. 33/S.R. 161
- Improving traffic flow
The ramp and road closures in place in 2015 are now open. Motorists and cyclists should be alert for crews and equipment at work when driving through the interchange. Work will continue on the project through Fall 2017.
East Main Street Bridge Rehabilitation
East Main Street (US 40) is reduced to one lane in each direction between Noe Bixby Road and Fairway Boulevard for bridge rehabilitation. Motorists may wish to consider East Broad Street (SR 16) or I-70 as east/west alternates.
Completion: May 31, 2016. (ODOT)
Glove Box Guide: Road Construction Preview Available
For an overview of 37 Central Ohio road projects and helpful information and resources on roadway safety and road construction, view Paving the Way’s 2016 Glove Box Guide to Central Ohio Road Construction at http://bit.ly/ptw2016. Paper copies will be available in area libraries in May or by request at pavingtheway.org. (Paving the Way)
Mid-Day Delays and Ramp Closure for Funeral Procession
A procession will follow the funeral of fallen Hilliard Police Officer Sean Johnson, at about 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, May 25. Plan for delays along the route:
- West on County Line Road, from St. Paul Church (west of North State St.)
- South on Worthington Road/Worthington-Galena Road
- West on Worthington Woods/E. Campus View Blvd.
- North on N. High Street (U.S. 23) to Resurrection Cemetery (south of Powell Rd.)
IMPORTANT NOTE: The ramp from I-270 West to Northbound N. High Street (U.S. 23) will close between about 11:30 and 1 p.m. to help manage traffic for the procession. (Hilliard Police)
North Side Mega Fix Update, Speed Limit Reduction
Beginning Tuesday, May 24, a new reduced work-zone speed limit will be posted and in force for the North Side Mega-Fix Project. The new speed limit in effect on I-270 and S.R. 315 at and near the I-270/S.R. 315 interchange will be 55 mph. Please be alert for reduced speed limit signs in this and all work-zones. 12 new signs will be placed designating the new speed limit.